There is nothing like the feeling of line-dried clothes. As people search for ways to reduce their impact on the environment and save on the electric bill, more of us are installing rotary washing lines to line dry clothes and linen. Although using a washing line can take more time, the savings on your electric bill can be significant. For that reason, it’s best to invest in the highest quality rotary clothesline you can afford, as a well-made rotary dryer can last for years.
After over 30 hours of research, handpicking the best rotary clothes lines in the market, combing through their specifications, and scouring the net for clothesline reviews, we think Hills Hoist Rotary 7 is still the best rotary clothesline for most people.
This solid piece of equipment is rated highly in many user reviews, and we’ve consistently found that it feels just as robust and outperforms all other rivals hands down in this segment. Sure, it doesn’t rank as the cheapest rotary clothesline, however, it is a quality product that pays for itself over time. In fact, it more than compensates for its heavy price tag with plenty of cool features and extras, giving you better bang for your buck.
|Drying Space||Number of lines||Diameter||Height||Suitable for||Warranty||Price|
|Hills Rotary 7||47m (154 ft)||7 lines ||12.1 feet||200 cm||Medium sized family wash||10 years||$$$$||Click To Check Price on Amazon|
|Breezecatcher TS4-140 7-Line Outdoor Umbrella Clothesline||42m(140 ft)||7 lines||10.8 feet||200 cm||Medium sized family wash||10 years||$$$||Click To Check Price on Amazon|
|Exaco Juwel Nova Plus 500 Rotary Line Dryer||42m(140 ft)||9 lines||11 ft approx||129 to 187 cm- working range||Medium sized family wash||2 years||$$$||Click To Check Price on Amazon|
|Brabantia Lift-O-Matic Rotary Dryer Clothes Line||60m (196 ft)||11 lines per side for more drying space||14.8 feet||200 cm||Large sized family wash||5 years||$$||Click To Check Price on Amazon|
|Brabantia Topspinner Rotary Washing Line with Ground Spike - 131 feet||40m (131 ft)||8 lines||13.5 feet||190 cm|
when fully extended
|Large sized family wash||5 years||$||Click To Check Price on Amazon|
Top 5 Rotary ClotheslinesA favorite in backyards around Australia and a great solution for drying machine-washed and dripping wet laundry, the Hills Hoist rotary clothes lines are now available in the USA. Hills’ top-of-the-line Rotary 7, in particular, is aimed at serious clothesline users, packing highly practical features into a rotary clothesline. And that explains the price.
That being said, despite its high pricing, the Rotary 7 compensates for this with some cool features that many products in this category do not. Ideal for mid-sized families with a large amount of wash, the Rotary 7 is second to none when it comes to quality workmanship, convenience and value for money.
- A simple crank-assisted operation to lift up the line
- A space-saver and a great fit for those who don’t have a large backyard space
- Features a line retainer to keep the lines nice and tidy
- Spins naturally, allowing your laundry to dry in a short span of time
- Quite portable; Can be folded up and put away when not in use
- Has enough room for your bedding and holds a good amount of wash
- As mentioned earlier, it’s on the pricey side for a clothesline of its kind, but it’s worth every cent.
- Requires minimal assembly but it does take a bit of work to get it installed
- A good clothesline to hang covers, inserts, diapers and clothes in general. Having said that, it might require some extra support at the base when dealing with heavier loads of wash.
Hills, the famous clothesline brand from Down Under, have come up with an ever-green winner. Rotary 7 is a time-tested product that produces fail-proof performance, and you just can’t go wrong with it. Check for the lowest price here
Well-built, practical and dependable, this rotary clothesline has a quality top frame made from sturdy aluminium, just like a real clothesline should be. What’s more, this Breezecatcher product also boasts of a smooth folding action with a quick, spring action latch mechanism that helps to lock it in firmly and securely.
- A sturdy aluminium construction – from brackets to angles – means better support and durability.
- Features well-tensioned poly core PVC lines strung with a loopback to eliminate sagging
- Offers enough space and support for hanging large queen size sheets
- Extremely cheap for the years of service you get from it
- Spins in the breeze to facilitate drying
- Backed up by a solid 10-year manufacturer warranty
- We also like the chunky feel of the components.
- Quite expensive. But then the heavy-duty aluminium frame and solid components are well worth the extra cost.
- Tends to spin a bit too easily if it gets too windy. Nevertheless, it is easy to hold and manoeuvre.
- At times the wire is difficult to pull taut and becomes a tad flappy.
There it is. True to its name, the Breezecatcher makes good use of wind to speed up drying and also handles heavier loads like a charm. Although it’s pricey, like many reviews suggest, this clothesline lasts longer and is totally worth the investment. Check for the lowest price here
Handy Hint: When drying chunky or thick items, hang it in such a way that it is covered by more than one line.Exaco Juwel’s integration of Twaron, which is a special space-age fibre, into rotary clotheslines represents a great work of innovation. This material cuts vibration in half and adds a touch of sturdiness and stability, resulting in a stable and wobble-free line.
- The umbrella-like system goes up and down really well so you can bring it to your desired height level
- Easy to put up and take down so you can use your backyard space for other things such as entertaining your guests
- The Twaron lines don’t droop as much as the plastic lines and make it easy for the unit to hold large loads of wash.
- Comes with a chintzy protective cover
- The top frame spins to take advantage of changing winds, thus allowing for quicker and easier drying.
- Some reviews suggest that there might be a problem with slacking of the lines and one has to keep tightening the line every time it slacks off a bit.
- The protective cover that comes with The lines seem to give a little especially when putting heavy wet towels on it
- Handy hanging loops for coat hangers could have been a nice addition.
- Comes with a 2-year warranty, which is not a bad thing per se. However, a 5-year warranty would be a good way to indicate that the makers are quite confident about its ability to last longer and withstand tough weather
Overall, Exaco Jewel Nova Plus 500 is a robust rotary clothesline that gets the job done. However, as you might expect at this price, the Exaco Jewel doesn’t come loaded with much extras- which is a bit of a bummer. Check for the lowest price hereLooking solid and compact for a clothesline and offering almost 200 feet of drying space, Lift-o-Matic is one of Brabantia’s new range of rotary clothesline. Designed to accommodate large items of the size of queen sheets, the Brabantia rotary clothesline has all the makings to take the hard work out of hanging laundry out on a clothesline.
- Arrives pre-strung for easy installation
- Has multiple ratchets on the pole to lock the unit. So you can stop at the first ratchet, reposition to wherever you’re more comfortable, and push it to the top.
- Can be adjusted for height so you can dry longer sheets duvets etc
- Perfect for airing large bedding items, pillows and cushions
- Comes with smoothly turning arms, thus allowing you to dry your laundry easier and faster.
- The lines stay taut easily
- Adjustable from 129 cm up to 187 cm, which means you can get it to glide to different heights with barely any effort
- Comes complete with a nylon PVC cover with a zip up side
- The centre post isn’t sturdy enough. Maybe some wedging or an additional support could make it a touch sturdier
- Some users also complained that the lines tend to become kind of loose after getting tangled in strong gusts of wind.
Ideal for those who have a lot of laundry to dry, the Brabantia Lift-O-Matic gives great value for money. At this price point, we would not hesitate to recommend this Brabantia rotary clothes line. Check for the lowest price here
Handy Hint: To facilitate natural spinning motion, hang your clothes and things on the outer fringes.Offering exactly 131 feet of drying length, the Brabantia Topspinner rotary washing line features a robust umbrella system that’s highly adjustable and re-tensionable in 3 different positions. What’s more, it also features high-quality UV-resistant washing lines with a non slip finish. Ideal for mid-sized families with a large load of laundry to air, this product from Brabantia takes the honours of the Best Budget Rotary Clothesline.
- Has the best ground clearance in its class. For instance, it allows bath towels, and bed linen to be hung lengthwise. That said, it could be kind of hard for shorter people.
- Its lightweight design makes it a cinch to put up and take down.
- The lines do not slacken so you don’t have to mess around trying to firm it up
- Arms with smooth turning mechanism means you can hang laundry easily and quickly without having to carry the basket around
- Each arm is fitted with a handy loop for hanging cloth hangers, making it perfect for drying soft laundry
- A loop in the centre allows for easy storage
- Some reviews state that this clothesline might not be ideal for short people. I can’t see why short people can’t make good use of it, it’s just a case of reaching up slightly.
- The ground spike that comes with the clothesline might be a bit tricky to install.
- Just nitpicking a bit here; the centre pole needs to be firmly attached and locked in on the ground spike as the whole clothesline tends to rotate in the breeze, rather than the top frame as designed.
Overall, it is a sturdy clothesline with a solid design and looks extremely well-made. At less than $100, it’s definitely a good price point for a budget rotary clothesline. Check for the lowest price here
What can we say, having won many awards over the years, the Hills Hoist Rotary 7 has managed to still secure a win in this rotary clothesline shootout. If you ask us, this clothesline from Hills Hoist won this shootout not because it is fairly convenient to use or fairly superior in terms of construction and overall quality, but just because it did not disappoint with poor results at all. There it is. If you’re in the market for a solid rotary clothesline, don’t look beyond this Australian masterpiece. It is the best money you’ll ever spend.