Guys, I had to let you know about something a little bit different from the usual today. I’m excited to be able to share with you that Contact Energy have joined AA Smartfuel, making it the most beneficial money-saving rewards program in the country (in my opinion). Admittedly, I’ve always been a bit wary of rewards programs because I’m frugal and I’d rather save money to reward myself however I want. That’s why the only loyalty/rewards program I actually bother with is AA Smartfuel.
Why I love AA Smartfuel and you should too:
- Joining and accumulating takes no effort
- I save money I was going to spend anyway
- With the money saved I can reward myself, in any way I choose. Like with a Caribbean beach holiday or delicious sopes con pollo.
So, when Contact Energy reached out to me about joining the AA Smartfuel village of retailers and asked if I would help spread the word, I was like ‘hell yes I will’.
I’ve always been a big fan of Contact due to their generous prompt payment discount but what Contact have done here makes my frugal heart sing. Basically, they’ve given their customers the option to choose how they would like to be rewarded. It goes like this.
- Choose a lower prompt payment discount and receive a higher fuel discount OR
- Choose a higher prompt payment discount and receive a lower (but still very generous) fuel discount
So, if you drive a lot you can save more on fuel. If you’re not a big driver, you can choose to pay less for your power bill but still save a bunch on your fuel. Everybody’s happy!
If you’re not familiar with how AA Smartfuel works, have a look at the video below
Sounds good, what do I do next?
- Sign up with Contact Energy (or if you’re already with them just stay) and choose the plan that’s right for you. Even plans with the highest prompt payment discount (between 18-20% just for paying your bill early) are eligible for rewards. Fixed rate plans receive up to 50c per litre discount. Contact Energy also offer a 1% discount if you receive your bill by email and a further 1% if you pay by direct debit. If you prefer the certainty of regular payments, you can choose to smooth out your payments for “less sweary winters” (Contact’s words, not mine) :-)/ Check out Contact Energy’s website to find out more about their fuel discount offer.
- Then go to any BP, Caltex or Countdown to pick up your free AA Smartfuel card. Activate your card at the AA Smartfuel website.
- Accumulate and redeem fuel discounts and spend your savings however you like.
4 Ways to make the most of AA SmartFuel
- Collect fuel discounts at Countdown
For those of us who shop around to get the best deals on our groceries, collecting fuel discounts is the best option when shopping at Countdown. Countdown offers between 3-6c/litre saving for a minimum spend of $100 per week across ALL your visits. Basically, you’ll want to do the bulk of your shopping in one go to earn more fuel rewards.
- Link cards with family and friends
AA Smartfuel allows you to link cards and jointly accumulate fuel discounts. This can be a great way to get large discounts. Just make sure you have clear rules in place around who can redeem the fuel discount and when. Read more about linking cards here: Linking AA Smartfuel Cards
- Download the app
Don’t let your fuel rewards expire. Keep an eye on them by downloading the AA Smartfuel app. The app also has a nifty tool which lets you know how your Countdown spend is tracking.
- Shop with intention
Before you make a purchase check the AA Smartfuel website to see if a participating retailer has the item you want to buy. A little research can go a long way when it comes to savings.
I really like that AA Smartfuel helps me reduce the cost of one of my largest monthly expenses. Because when you save money you have the freedom to reward yourself in any way you see fit (I’m guessing it’s probably not a toaster or magazine subscription). AA Smartfuel have cracked the code – they have a product that saves people money on stuff they buy anyway. Now that Contact Energy have joined the village, there is an opportunity to skyrocket your fuel savings and give you more money for the things you want to do. Which is what we’re all about ’round here.
Pick up your free AA Rewards card at any BP, Caltex or Countdown and register here to start saving money.
This post was sponsored by Contact Energy but all opinions are my own.
CONTACT ENERGY GROUP NOTICE: The information contained in this transmission is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended for the named addressee only. If you are not the named addressee you may not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance upon this transmission.